Thursday, June 3, 2010

Just Like That

I would not say that he is my best friend but he has always been among my closest ones. He is more important to me as compared to other friends because he is among very few people to whom I discuss my problems. Our friendship is many years old and we know each other’s strengths and weaknesses. We have so many friends in common but whenever we need to share something important we meet alone. He is a simple guy, away from the politics of this world, calm, sensitive and pure from heart. One major difference between us is that I have never been much interested in love stories and he is a firm believer in love at first sight. I remember that he used to tell me that someone somewhere is made for you and the day she will meet you, your world will change. I always laughed on all this crap.

It was chilling evening of November when he introduced me to a pretty girl. We went for a coffee and the moment I was sipping my hot coffee I saw them lost in each other’s eyes. She was smiling and I knew that my boy has found his love. While we three were walking back from coffee shop, it was only me who was speaking. While I was telling her some funny story my dear friend was staring at her like an Alzheimer’s patient. She caught him many times staring at her and every time they exchanged a gaze, she smiled. After many minutes and many sentences I found that no one is interested in my story. After two months I witnessed the moment when he proposed her. I don’t know why but he wanted to propose her in front of me and he did that. Probably he wanted someone to take care of him if the girl says no. I did not get chance to know whether my guess is right or wrong because she immediately said yes and told that she was eagerly waiting for this day to come. I was the third happiest person on the earth at that moment.

Years passed and their love grew with every single passing day. The intensity of our friendship wasn’t affected by their relation though we were spending comparatively less time with each other now. One day he called me up and when I asked about her he told me that everything is going perfect and they have started making future plans as well. Apart from convincing their families and marriage time, their future plans also included the name of their kids. I laughed loudly; these romantic people are so funny. He was really happy that day.

Few more months passed. I was busy in my new job and we had not talked for quite a long time but I was too busy to think about him. One day I found him standing in front of my door. He was looking pale and I knew he has some bad news to tell.

“Her family is against our marriage. They are marrying her to someone else.” He said in slow and heavy voice. “She is broken. They are doing it forcefully. They are emotionally blackmailing her.” He wanted to tell me so many things in few seconds.

After hearing the story I said to him “call her and tell her that we are coming to take her”
No. He replied.

Why not? Are you afraid of anything?
No. I have already told her what you want to me to tell her. I am ready to do anything but I don’t want to force her. I don’t want to convince her for this yes. If I love her truly she will come back.

“What if she doesn’t come back?” I asked
“Sill will come” He replied.

I could see a hope in his empty eyes. I knew that he wanted to prove his love in his own heart. I knew he is waiting and I prayed God that she comes back.

She did not.
Our friendship had completed one circle. We started with each other and there we were: the two of us”.

We were sitting in the park. I was smoking and a board just in front of me was saying “Thank you for no smoking”. Sometimes, situations throw jokes on us when we don’t need them. Still I manage to smile.

“So..now what?” I asked.
“Need some time to rethink about my life. I have lost myself, I need to find me.” He replied

I had seen this guy falling deeply in love. I knew he was in great pain. I saw his face and I realized why I am scared of emotional people.

“Hurting?…badly???????”
Yes.

“I don’t know why she did this” I said.
We don’t know her side of story completely and so we should not comment. I just know few things. She loved me but I was not the top of her priority list and there is nothing wrong in that. I would be all right in some time. This time may be years. I believe in God. He has answers for all the questions. I know he will give me the answer.

This is about future…what about today.
It’s hurting…badly

He stood up and left. I have felt the emptiness in his heart. I thanked God that he did not make me too emotional. I have always been careless and I love the way I am. At least I don’t give people any chance to hurt me. I wanted to see how things will go now. I always wanted to do a survey on the average time taken to return in normal life after a break-up, especially for guys. I knew I will do it now. I lit another cigarette. The board was still saying “Thank you for no smoking”. I smiled. Howsoever bad the situation is; a joke is always welcomed.

To be continued…

4 comments: